Because sometimes art just needs to happen and that's all the reason you need.

The cake I posted about in my last entry was just so awesome I was quite literally high on my sense of accomplishment. The exhilaration of a job well done rushed through my veins like a water from a freshly broken dam! So I decided to harness that power and make something even more epic..something even more awesome than I've ever pondered making before.
I was going to make a cake topper for the beer cake. I discussed it amongst my roomies and we knew for sure that 1-There would be a shark and 2-there would be a bear!
At first we thought "a bear punching a shark!"
So I began work on shaping the shark's body with tinfoil whilst my lovely assistant Wesley got to work on finding me a reference picture from the internet. I finished the base with the power of tinfoil and some scotch tape here and there.

(My shark is an awesome shark. He reigns on water and earth!)


And then Wesley presented me with this gem from the internet. I was flabbergasted. I was awestruck. I knew what had to be done. There would be no punching of sharks today! Today was the day that Johnson and Craig would set out as a dynamic duo of crime fighting shark on bear action! (I have no idea what the artist named these dudes, but mine were henceforth known as Johnson the Bear and Craig the Flying Shark.)
However, if my duo was going to fight crime they were going to need some sweet accessories.

Oooh yeah. A cowboy hat, scarf, bowtie, shotgun, pair of goggles, a cigar, and bottle of whiskey later they were ready to graduate into the wonderful world of color!


And that's how Johnson and Craig came to be. They sat proudly upon their cake pedestal and were much admired by the masses! And while definitely not my proudest sculpting job considering it's 5 hour time frame from start to finish, it has to be one of my most awesome works to date. :D

1 comment: